Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fun in the Sun Art Project - Rice Paper


This project is easy to do with little shells and feathers you collect from the beach. I have done this project in the fall with collected leaves and flower petals. I have also tried it with glitter and flat chinese napkins with gold leaf on them. It is very easy to do. The hardest material to have on hand is wax paper. It can be made as long as you like. I made a long wall hanging with it for my bedroom. Looks nice with light shining through. This project I describe is for kids in the summer at a beach who want to do a craft. You can use it on a nice lantern or hang it in a window. See an article I wrote called: Fun in the Sun Summer Art Project.
I have made paper in art class but this project has turned out to be one of my favorites. I use it usually with grade 4's and 5's. Its messy with the white glue and kleenex but I would recommend it. Have the students collect the materials and bring them. Make sure they are flat. I tried to bring in flat fossilized leaves which were very pretty but rather expensive and not needed. Kids like adding glitter or sequins but you can't see them through the paper very well. Colored leaves, petals and flat cedar boughs work well. Anything you recommend would be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment